The Riveting Tour Eiffel

On Tuesday morning, we slept in a little and then caught the Metro to Auber, which is where our hop on hop off bus tour began. After a croissant and espresso each, we selected the “yellow” route of the bus, which took us around Montmarte where we saw the Moulin Rouge, some very elaborate train stations and the Opera Garnier.



Then, we changed busses to the “green” grand tour route which took us to Notre Dame. The queue was massive and as I had previously been inside this particular cathedral before and only two days ago visited a similar one, Sarah and I agreed that we would be best off admiring it from the outside.







We wandered around the St-Germain area and found some lunch in a tiny little deli/cafe after passing by some impressive boulangeries, charcuteries and a tiny dog wearing a fur lined rain jacket. Our plan was to find the Musee Dupuytren but I mistook it’s location for the University of Sorbonne (when it is actually located at the University of Paris) so unfortunately, I led Sarah on a wild goose chase for nothing. Eventually, we found a cafe which had free wifi and we re-grouped and decided to come back to the correct university the following day.

We walked back a little towards the Seine and caught the “blue” Bastille route of the bus. By this stage in the afternoon, it was getting a little cool, so we rugged up on the bus while we took in the view.



After our Bastile bus tour, we did a little shopping along Rue de Rivoli. Sarah showed me a wonderful shop called Desigual, in which everything is brightly coloured and wonderfully embellished. I bought myself a skirt, which was on sale, although I really wanted a pair of jeans with suspenders, I didn’t think I would ever find the right occasion to wear them.

In the evening, we had a tour booked for an Eiffel Tower dinner and a river cruise. It was definitely a classy, respectable tour to attend, given the average age of the guests was about 60. In fact, we were instructed that we had to sit at the top of the bus, up the stairs, because we were “young”.


When we arrived, we caught the elevator to the first floor. Sarah commented that it was like going to work in the cage but in reverse. I was hoping there was less chance of the elevator tripping out than the cage at George Fisher but at least we were packed in quite tightly so your fall would be cushioned by the people around you. On our way up, Sarah was particularly delighted by the number of rivets used in the steelwork, which was two and a half million.

We were seated with two other Australia ladies and a mother and daughter from New York. Dinner was lovely, as was the wine!





Stair climbing seemed to be an ongoing theme of this trip so we climbed up another set of stairs to reach the second level, passing some elevator hoisting equipment, where we were rewarded with some amazing views of Paris at night and the tower itself.









But we couldn’t stay all night because we had a river cruise to get to. We rushed down the tower, being held up in the elevator, descended some more stairs to the river bank and made our cruise with time to spare. The cruise organisers took an absolutely awful photo of us boarding but it was 10 euros so we decided not the purchase it at the end. I think we picked the correct side of the boat because we got to see Notre Dame twice as we turned around.





After our cruise, we were quite cold and tired so we walked back over Pont d’Tena through the Palais de Chaillot and caught the Metro all the way home to Voltare, after taking just a few more photos.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: